Copyright 2009-2014 by Holly K. Austin unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
PLEASE DO NOT COPY OR USE ANY IMAGES FROM THIS SITE WITHOUT PERMISSION!
If you would like to use an image for some purpose, please contact me via the comments feature.

Speaking of boots...

>> Friday, October 16, 2009















Dorky Ode to an Old Pair of Boots

Laces gripped in creased old grommet rust
Crunchy with dirt from countless woodland romps
Gore-Tex and arches long objects of trust
Exuding a cloud-like memory dust

Missing aglet remembrance of kitten
Now grown up lazy supercilious cat
Bottoms with divots toes nestle in
Lugs on soles worn impossibly thin

Now resting forlornly in entryway
Odor prompting disbelieving glance
In their sad state they've no further gambols
But I haven't the heart to throw them away


On our first High Peak adventure up Seymour I suffered a serious emotional blow:  my beloved old hiking boots bit the dust.  Slightly less than 1/2 way through a rather long trip, the Gore-Tex in the left boot gave up the ghost, and gave it up spectacularly.  Of course, I then proceeded to step down in the wrong spot and pour icy mountain stream water directly down the back of my ankle and into my right boot.

Squish.  Squash.  Squish.  Squash.

I am hoping the boot gods will be merciful on me - thus far the replacements aren't measuring up.  But can I really expect them to?  After all, they do have big boots to fill...  (ba dum bum, ching!)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP