Copyright 2009-2014 by Holly K. Austin unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
PLEASE DO NOT COPY OR USE ANY IMAGES FROM THIS SITE WITHOUT PERMISSION!
If you would like to use an image for some purpose, please contact me via the comments feature.

Carnival

>> Sunday, August 5, 2012

I have no good explanation for why, but I got inspired to check out the Canalfest in Rome, NY on Saturday.  We'd never been, but saw it was free (big motivator).  I was tempted to go to a beach somewhere-or-other since it was in the mid 90s and the air was viscous with humidity, but I wasn't in the mood for a crowded beach, somehow.






It was a good time.  Rome Canalfest is sort of like a county fair without animals.  There were horticulture and photography and quilt contests, and of course a midway.


This "flower arrangement" is just... weird.  And creepy.  Reminds me of Ophelia.





There were also some water skiing shows and all sorts of vendors and a fireworks show at the end of the evening.







I am not certain how much you should take my word for its being enjoyable and worth the trip to Rome, though.  I've discovered that so long as I have my camera along, I can pretty much always enjoy myself!

I find carnivals to be a wonderful place to play with different shutter speeds, particularly at night.  I love all the bright colors and lights, all the faces of people enjoying the fair, all the commotion.  Next time I go to a carnival I'll be taking a tripod along, I swear.  I could have had more fun with one, and could have taken far better pictures.  But even without I enjoyed the interesting effects, some of which I think are rather haunting.  I certainly learned some new tricks I will be applying again, perhaps at the New York State Fair midway (with tripod, damnit!).  My favorites are the funky portraits, where faces appear in the midst of the chaotic swirling motion.

Hope you enjoy the show!


I love how ghostly the riders appear in the next few.











2 comments:

Raining Iguanas August 7, 2012 at 4:35 AM  

I did enjoy the show. You did a wonderful job without a tripod. I think you end up with more 'spur in' the moment versus 'spur of' the moment.

Ellen Rathbone August 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM  

You know...you really could publish some great photo books with your images!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP