Copyright 2009-2014 by Holly K. Austin unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
PLEASE DO NOT COPY OR USE ANY IMAGES FROM THIS SITE WITHOUT PERMISSION!
If you would like to use an image for some purpose, please contact me via the comments feature.

Lawn Fuzz

>> Monday, March 15, 2010

'Tis the season of the snow mold.  I have a love-hate relationship with the stuff.  On the one hand it's pretty gross and it makes me sneeze, but on the other hand it's a sure sign of spring.  For some reason this year nearly our entire lawn was coated in snow mold.


I don't know a whole lot about snow mold, although I have read there are two primary types: gray and pink.  I appear to have mostly the gray, also known as Typhula blight.  It appears every year in the first warm days that melt a lot of the snow.  At a glance it almost looks like lingering patches of snow, but it most certainly is not.



It's a little gross to have my entire lawn being eaten up by mold, but it shall pass.  A little sun and dryness will make it disappear again until next spring.  It never seems to do any lasting damage, or at least not that I notice.  Our lawn is never exactly pristine, since I refuse to apply chemical fertilizers or pesticides.  We have a grub problem, and the dog pee kills large patches of it too.  I shall never be one of those people who worries much about my lawn looking like a golf course.


It seems awfully early, but there are a few other signs of spring in my garden, too.  The irises are starting to poke their brave heads above the soil, reminding me that I really need to thin out the patches.  I never seem to get around to it.  Good thing they tolerate my neglect.


I have no idea what this little red nub is - I shall have to watch it to find out.


I hope these brave first shoots don't regret their early optimism about winter's end and spring's approach.

This past Saturday I hosted a birthday party for my father, and chose jonquils as the floral decor.  Apparently I can't resist feeling optimistic about the end of winter, any more than those little plants can.



2 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly March 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

I'm so glad to learn that you don't put poisonous crap on your lawn. You and your family (including the dogs and cats) will be healthier for it, and so will your lawn, in the long run. As you stated, that mold disappears after a while, and who knows what function it plays in your lawn's ecosystem? All kinds of important processes go on under the soil that we have no inkling of.

Ellen Rathbone March 16, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

What a lovely basket of flowers! I love the woodsy arrangement.

And snow mold is a new one to me. I shall now have to keep my eyes peeled to see if I have it too.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP